Thursday, 25 February 2010

York Doctoral Symposium

It has been a while since my last blog update. Mostly this is because I've been preparing a paper for the ANTS 2010 conference.
What I want to mention in this blog entry is the symposium I'm helping to run!

It's a conference that's run annually by my department which is organised by the PhD students. The idea is to give us youths and young researchers an idea about what it's like to actually run a conference and review papers and select them to create a program. There's also the organisation of logistical stuff like location, food advertisment which is the side I'm more involved with.

The organisation process has only been going on since February but I've learnt a lot about interacting with people and just plain getting stuff done. Right now I'm having to NETWORK and find people in industry who are able to sponsor the event. If I can get that done well then the conference could be completely free for everybody. I have ideas anyway.

I encourage any PhD students reading this to submit their work to the conference anyway. Last year there were only 10 submissions and 8 presentation slots, I'm hoping this year we can do a bit better. I have plans for getting some really tasty prizes for papers, so it's worth submitting some work, preliminary results totally count as valid research (so long as the science is sound of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment